Monday, August 27, 2012

What a week!

This has been such a crazy, busy, hectic week!  With the kids going back to school in T- 1 week {yay!!} we've been busy back to school shopping, registration and desperately trying to fit in a few last minute things that we totally forgot to do since summer just seemed to fly by!!

With spending so much time thinking about what everyone else needs, I haven't taken much "me" time.  And it's wearing on me...I can't sleep anymore!!  So today, since I didn't have to work, I decided to take my "me" time!!  And what better way to spend it than baking my favorite thing in the whole world...cupcakes!?  There IS no better way!

And let's just say that I am so happy I did because 1.}I feel more like ME; and 2.}I made some wonderfully awesome cupcakes, that you just have to try!

Introducing...

I just used a box mix for the cupcake itself...but each cupcake has a mini Reese's surprise inside!!  Each cupcake has a very generous topping of peanut butter frosting {see recipe for suggested amounts} and is then topped with 1/2 a mini Reese's on each cake.  In the picture shown above, I decided to get creative and try to chop some extra cups I had left over...but failed to remember the peanut  butter in the middle...let's just say, they don't chop well!


I also decided to make some mini-cupcakes... those don't have any Reese's in them, just the peanut butter cream frosting...and they are still delicious!!!



Gourmet Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes  {print recipe here}
  • 1 box (18 oz.) chocolate cake mix {prepared as directed}
  • 1 (12 oz bag) Reese’s miniature peanut butter cups, unwrapped
Peanut Butter Cream Frosting: The original recipe I had called for twice this, but it was way to much!
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cups Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons milk, or more if needed
To make the frosting: 
  1. Place the peanut butter and butter into a large bowl.  Beat with a mixer until well blended
  2. Add half the sugar and half the milk to the butter mixture.  Mix until blended.
  3. Add the remaining sugar and milk.  Mix until blended and the beat with mixer for 3 minutes until nice and fluffy.  Add more milk if needed to received desired consistency.
To make the cake:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners; set aside.
  2. Prepare cake as directed.  Place one scoop {I use an ice cream scoop} into each cupcake liner.
  3. Place one Reese’s peanut butter cup into the center of each cupcake.  Press the peanut butter cup into the batter so 2/3 of the peanut butter cup is covered with batter.  The peanut butter cup will sink further in the cupcakes as it cooks. The original recipe I found called for you to push the cupcake into the batter, I don't suggest doing this.  It sinks down just fine by itself!
  4. Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans and cool completely.
  5. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.  Cut remaining peanut butter cups in half.  Place 1 half on top of each cupcakes.

I'd say I had a pretty successful "me" time today, wouldn't you?



No comments: